Skin, being the largest organ of the human body, is very important to daily living. It not only covers and protects our insides, but it essentially holds everything together. It can also make sure we maintain the right temperature to survive, and gives us the sense of touch.
The skin is made up of three layers, the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous. The epidermis is on the bodys surface, where new cells form and dead ones fall off. The process of skin cell rejuvenation can take anywhere from two weeks to a month, and the entire layer of the epidermis is in a constant state of flux: newer cells move up through the layers and during that process, the older cells rise to the surface and die.
Old skin cells are strong, and they act by covering your body and protecting it. Every minute of the day we lose 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells off the surface of our skin. The process of shedding cells in the epidermis is ongoing, and 95 percent of the cells in that layer are always at work to make new skin cells. The other 5 percent contains a substance called melanin, which gives skin its color.
The darker your skin, the more melanin you have. The cells that contain melanin also provide extra coverage to prevent burning from ultraviolet rays emitted from the sun. Despite having melanin, we still need to be sure and cover up with a sunscreen to protect from skin cancer and sunburn.
The second layer, or dermis, contains nerve endings, blood vessels, oil and sweat glands. It is also where collagen is made, which is important for elasticity and skin durability. The nerve endings in the dermis are responsible for understanding how things feel. The nerve sensors send messages to the brain when things feel too hot or cold, and they transmit messages of pain. The dermis is also filled with blood vessels that keep the skin healthy by supplying it with oxygen and nutrients.
The third and final layer of the skin is called the subcutaneous layer. This layer is mostly fat, and works to provide the body warmth and protection. This is the same layer where our hair follicles originate. These follicles act as roots for each hair as it grows up through the dermis. Hair follicles tend to grow over the entire body, and more than 10,000 follicles are located on the head alone.
You skin also works to keep your internal temperature from getting too hot or cold. Blood vessels, hair and sweat glands work together to keep the body at an optimal temperature, and to reduce risk of overheating.
Keeping skin in good health is just as important as any other organ or body part. Make sure skin stays clean with water and gentle soap, and clean wounds to keep them from becoming infected. Since we only have one skin, we need to always make sure it is healthy and clean, and see a doctor when abnormal growths appear.
About the Author
Mr Reygan has been involved with effective skin preparations products for over 11 years. To find out to get rid of Acne, melasma, age spots and freckles click here www.reygani.com