Thursday, August 28, 2008

Spa Illuminata: fake-over


Set in the bustling streets of West London, Spa Illuminata is a haven among the hectic.

The entrance is spacious with an alluring scent; a modern take on a roman spa house.

The front of house shelves Declor and other high end products whilst at the back there are staircases leading you through this mature Victorian building with ample sized treatment rooms and relaxation areas.

I had decided that in honour of the sudden blip of sunshine that my body - having spent so much time in the wind and rain – was ready for some kind of pre-tanning treatment. Thus I went for a Sunrise Application, apparently one of Spa Illuminata’s biggest sellers to date.

My therapist Grace had a striking resemblance to the uber cool model, Grace Jones but with the gracious poise of Iman (David Bowie’s wife).

· She talked me through the procedure and told me about numerous celebrity clients she had treated, including Kelly Brook. Grace has previously worked for some of the best beauty companies in the industry.

At the beginning of my treatment I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew that this was a pre-tan application, although the aim was not to slobber me in fake tan and produce a WAG-esque appeal, but more to produce a healthy long lasting glow on which a tan could draw.

After the initial full body exfoliation (that was done with sea salt and lavender and smelt amazing) I was asked to shower in a petite cubicle hidden against the wall in my treatment room. I was left to dry myself off and again pop on paper knickers and return to the therapy bed. My skin was so smooth and delicate at this point I was afraid to even touch it.

To achieve a subtle yet believable fake tan the treatment finished with an all over body oil application, which when rubbed vigorously on the skin pulls the melanin in your skin cells to the top of the surface and attract the sun’s rays more. This was then completed with a light thin fake tan cream which was applied on top of this all over my body.

Surprisingly the fake tan dried within minutes leaving no obtrusive smells. The thinness of the cream was another amazing point. I could have simply got dressed and returned back to work with no one the wiser, as the procedure takes up to 4 hours to react. The fake tan however lasted a bit longer – 7 days to be exact.

The only criticism I might have had faded along with my fake tan due to the unforeseen British weather, and it was this. Grace must not have realised she had been rubbing the cream into the palm of my hands as well so I was left with an awkward discolourment for a few days...

· The Sunrise Application at Spa Illuminata costs £95.00 for one hour and includes the exfoliation and moisturising plus the application of the self-tan. Spa Illuminata, 63 South Audley Street, London, W1K 2QS 020 7499 7777; www.spailluminata.com

No comments: